Thursday, April 16, 2009

Summer is coming... I can smell it!

After a few days of sunshine the temperature in London approached the dizzy heights of 21 C yesterday! And then this morning on the way out the house it seemed a touch more humid than normal and then the rain came. But it wasn't the dull grey rain that sends shivers through you, as in winter, rather it was clean refreshing spring rain. The type of rain that makes smiles. The sort of rain that is light and dreamy and you can walk about in it comfortably and still feel ok, in fact I felt happy.

So with that sort of feeling I suppose there is no doubt about it, that SUMMER buzz is coming - indeed today it was attempting to hum its arrival! It may take another few months to get into bloom but already I feel it in my bones. I smelt the promise of summer as I walked from Archway tube station along to my physiotherapy session. On the side of the road in the long green grass and the gently swaying trees came that smell - that summer smell that takes you back, as only smells can do, to an old glorious memory. Sadly it was only a five minute walk and if I didn't have to be somewhere I could have marched on in the rain for hours.

After the physio session I walked back to Finsbury Park and took a detour through a small little park I've never been through before, the rain had stopped but the earth still smelt magic.
Only a few weeks ago these green areas only just seemed to be waking up to this fact, the daffodils tried their best as usual but the trees still seemed as bare and ill as normal. But now its all go, have you noticed the birds have picked up the tweeting a notch or two as well?

It's only a simple little observation but such a joy it was to me: lets walk in the rain and smile and let the northern hemisphere have the light for a while - this little corner of Europe - these grey humdrum streets of North London need some sparkle after the bland lifeless winter.
Celebrate the coming of the light!

Here's to SUMMER - to bright long days and wild imaginations!
Peace.

NEIL

3 comments:

  1. Here's to the summer, with you on that one! The best bits of recent summers for me were the long afternoons in Clissold Park, with a few beers. We should have a Clissold reunion one day! I love the blog. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  2. May this Summer be long and hot, with gentle breezes blowing that turn our winter worries into distant discarded memories. Ah the happyness of the sounds of friends laugher and jocund days. Take care and may your blog be the inspiration for the imagination to take flight as a new secular orison of hope. Grahamxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Neil, I am not sure I agree with you about who is more poetic. You have a very strong use of language which inspires me to write, also why stop drinking all great poets need their vices? Take care lets meet up when I am back for Scotland. Brenton does not use an e-mail address but he does use yahoo messenger also facebook messenger and he has a myspace area. I will look it all up and send you an e-mail. Lots of love Grahamxxx

    ReplyDelete